Re: [AMBER] Adding buffer and salt

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2013 09:30:47 -0500

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 3:23 AM, Indrajit Deb <biky2004indra.gmail.com>wrote:

> Dear Amber Users,
>
> I have a small nucleic acid system that I want to simulate.
>
> 1 mM of this system is in 0.7 ml 25 mM phosphate buffer, pH 7.0, containing
> 25 mM NaCl, 10 mM MgCl2 and 0.2 mM EDTA for NMR study.
>
> I want to prepare same experimental setup for my system.

It's highly unlikely you will be able to do this. For example, I recently
calculated the ionic strength of one of my simulations where I added a 10
Angstrom solvent buffer around a 130-residue protein, after which I added
15 Cl- and 6 Na+ total ions (the protein was +9). The resulting
concentration was 200 mM. If I had added just 1 Na+ and 1 Cl- ion, the
concentraton would've still been ~20 mM (and I would not have been able to
neutralize my system).

In order to simulate such small concentrations of so many compounds, you
would need an incredibly large volume with a very large number of water
molecules. And to make matters worse, there are no good parameters for
magnesium ions.

Before running these simulations, you really should have a well-formed
question that you want to ask with a hypothesis about what you think will
happen. This is what you should use to design your experiment -- it is
unlikely that everything in your solution will be necessary to gain insight
from computation.

HTH,

Quantum Theory Project,
University of Florida