[AMBER] TI alpha-beta glucose Glycam06h

From: Kepa K. Burusco <kekoburgo.yahoo.es>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 13:42:45 +0000 (GMT)

[25-I-2013] Hi everybody, I'm a newcomer to Thermodynamic Integration calculations and I have been doing some tests running a TI to transform the alpha anomer of glucose into the beta anomer to determine the Difference in Free Energy. I am using Amber11 with AmberTools12 and Glycam06h force field. I am following the tutorial A9 (http://ambermd.org/tutorials/): 1) First of all I created the input files for the alpha and beta anomers and solvated them with TIP3P (glaWAT glbWAT) taking care of all the requierments needed to avoid problems with common/special atoms. 2) Then I divided TI process into 3 Legs: switching off all the charges in the glucose, mutating atoms (employing soft-core potentials), and then again switching on the charges (files *.in). 3) I extracted the lines "DV/DL average" and "DV/DL fluctuations" from output files to create the 3 columns (Lambda, Average, Fluctuation) text file as recommended by the tutorial ("stepX.TIresults.txt"). 4) Finally, I processed the lines with the perl script in tutorial ("TotalTI.stepA.txt"). After checking the results I have discovered something strange, and I would like to ask you if I have been anything wrong. In the first leg, I switch off the charges of the glucose molecule. Since it is a polar one, interaction with water should be favorable and therefore going from the molecule with charges (polar) to the molecule without charges (apolar) should give a positive difference in energy. Instead, the difference in free energy is about -91.8 kcal/mol (???). We find exactly the same strange result in the third leg when I apply the charges. Going from the apolar molecule in water to the polar molecule should be favoured, however, I again find the wrong sign in the energy (about +92.5). I send you attached a tar file with the text documents (submitting scrips, input files, structures, results...) Does anyone have any clue about what I am doing wrong? Than you very much. Kepa K. ***************************************************************