[AMBER] Theoretical explanation of adding ions to make the system neutral

From: Mahendra B Thapa <thapamb.mail.uc.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 17:41:57 -0500

Dear AMBER users,

                            We add ions ( either Na or Cl) to make the
system neutral; I am interested to know how we can determine the total
amount of charge of the system( say, protein). For example, in the tutorial
1, section 2 , sub-section2.3.1, 18 sodium anions are added to counteract
the -18 charge of the DNA chain. Similarly, in my system , I have added
the different number of Na-ions using addions command. What is the theory
behind it? If possible, please suggest also the relevant papers or other
materials .

Thanks,
Mahendra Thapa
Graduate Student(Physics)