Re: [AMBER] Membrane-Peptide Simulation ( peptide going away from membrane)

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 00:38:48 -0800

Hi HM,

I would take a good look in the literature at what people do in these
situations. The issue with your 'control' is that you make no mention of
timescale. The experimental data may indeed show that the peptide
penetrates the membrane but does it give any indication of the timescale
that this takes? If it is on the order of milliseconds then just running
brute force MD is not going to work. One option would be to try some form
of umbrella sampling where you effectively move the peptide through the
membrane in stages. This will give you a PMF for crossing the membrane.
While non membrane interacting peptides will also move into the membrane
in this situation the difference is that any barriers you observe in the
PMF should be much higher. The same is true if you run steered MD,
although it will not be quantitative, the behavior will depend on if you
do constant velocity or constant force. The issue is that entropy is
likely to be against you since there are a large number of orientational
configurations for the peptide in solution but likely only one major
orientation within the membrane. This is probably part of the issue why
you see diffusion away from the membrane in the unbiased simulation.

Good luck.

All the best
Ross