Re: [AMBER] Steered Molecular Dynamics: Question

From: Jan-Philip Gehrcke <jgehrcke.googlemail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 18:16:37 +0100

George,

In this discussion I was missing so far that the force is calculated
dynamically in each MD time step, from the gradient of the according
potential.

This means we're dealing with a self-correcting system. Via pulling
velocity v and the two distance endpoints we define a *desired* linear
distance-time curve d(t). In each time step, the *actual* distance-time
state of the system slightly deviates from this curve and a
'correctional' force with a certain magnitude and direction is applied
to the system in order to enforce the desired d(t) relation. Hence, the
direction of the correctional force may vary from time step to time step.

Then it is obvious that the trajectory of the two restrained atoms still
is random and that in the final state each atom must be on a spherical
surface with center=other_atom and radius=target_distance.

Regards,

Jan-Philip