Re: [AMBER] enthalpy and sum of per residue energy decomposition not euqal

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 10:44:19 -0500

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 4:09 AM, Sangita Kachhap <sangita.imtech.res.in>wrote:

> Hello All
> I am doing MMPBSA analysis of protein-DNA complex.
> I want to ask a question that why sum of energy of all residue by per
> residue
> energy decomposition is not equal to enthalpy of complex though both have
> same
> energy component?
> In my case sum of energy of all residue is -119.6 kcal/mol and enthalpy of
> complex is 130.4 kcal/mol.
>
> When I checked for MMPBSA tutorial there also two value are not equal

No, they should not be equal. By adding up all per-residue contributions,
you are significantly double-counting the non-bonded interactions.
 Consider two atoms in different residues. Their interaction should be
counted toward the decomposed, per-residue energy of both residues, but it
should only be included once in the total energy.

Since residues have internal non-bonded interactions, extracting the exact
total energy from the decomposition results is non-trivial.

HTH,

Quantum Theory Project,
University of Florida
Ph.D. Candidate