Re: [AMBER] imaging issues during RMSF

From: Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 14:48:58 -0700

Hi,

'atomicfluct' is best used following an RMS-fit to an averaged
structure. Assuming you want local fluctuations for each chain, and
since you have several chains, you should probably rms-fit and
calculate fluctuations for each one separately (unless you want some
sort of global fluctuation for the entire system). The best procedure
in my opinion is to run your calculation in two phases, one in which
the coords are stripped and imaged, the second in which you perform
the actual calc. The easiest way to do this IMHO is with cpptraj since
the 'autoimage' command takes a lot of the guesswork out of imaging.
Note that in your case since you have ions in-between your chains that
the atom numbering of the system will be altered after the strip
command (i.e. the second chain will start at residue 211 instead of
213 since the two intervening ions will be stripped). The following
examples assume you are using cpptraj:

1) strip and image the trajectory, calculate the average structure:

parm protein.prmtop
trajin md1.mdcrd 1 500 1
-
-
-
trajin md50.mdcrd 1 500 1
strip :WAT,Cl- outprefix strip
average chain1.pdb :1-210 pdb
average chain2.pdb :211-420 pdb
average chain3.pdb :421-630 pdb
trajout strip.md.nc netcdf

After this you will have a stripped topology 'strip.protein.prmtop'
that corresponds to the stripped traj 'strip.md.nc' and 3 PDB files
containing the average structure of each chain.

2) rms fit to average structure, calculate atomic fluctuations:

parm strip.protein.prmtop
trajin strip.md.nc
parm chain1.pdb
reference chain1.pdb parm chain1.pdb [chain1]
parm chain2.pdb
reference chain2.pdb parm chain2.pdb [chain2]
parm chain3.pdb
reference chain3.pdb parm chain2.pdb [chain2]
rms ref [chain1] :1-210 :1-210
atomicfluct out chain1.fluct.dat :1-210.CA byatom
rms ref [chain2] :211-420 :1-210
atomicfluct out chain2.fluct.dat :211-420.CA byatom
rms ref [chain3] :421-630 :1-210
atomicfluct out chain3.fluct.dat :421-630.CA byatom

Note this is intended as a guideline only - since I don't have access
to your system I can only guess at the best way to go about
calculating things. Hopefully this is somewhat helpful. Good luck!

-Dan

Daniel R. Roe, PhD
Department of Medicinal Chemistry
University of Utah