Re: [AMBER] ptraj clustering problem (segmentation fault)

From: Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 09:49:43 -0700

Hi,

Unfortunately a segfault is difficult to debug without being able to
reproduce it. Could you try the clustering with cpptraj and see if you
still get a segfault? Note the syntax is slightly different. You will want
something like:

cluster out iab6.dat summary iab6.summary.dat info iab6.info repout
iab6.rep repfmt pdb clusterout cluster.nc clusterfmt netcdf averagelinkage
clusters 3 mass .CA

iab6.dat: Will contain cluster # vs time.
iab6.summary.dat: Will contain a brief summary of each cluster (# frames,
avg dist, centroid, etc).
iab6.info: Will contain ptraj-like cluster output
iab6.rep.cX: Will contain representative structure for cluster X in PDB
format
cluster.nc.cX: Will contain entire cluster X in netcdf format. This can be
used to generate avg structure if needed (cpptraj has no 'average' keyword
for clustering).

In the meantime, I will try to reproduce the issue with a similar-sized
system (6 aa, 6000 frames).

-Dan

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 6:25 AM, <adarm.nencki.gov.pl> wrote:

> Dear Amber users,
>
> I got a problem with clustering with ptraj from AmberTools12. I work with
> two small peptides containing respectively 5 (iab5) and 6 (iab6) amino
> acids. The problem concerns only the larger peptide from the two since for
> the smaller one everything goes smooth. The trajectory of molecular
> dynamics contains 6000 structures from a 30 ns run. When I try to do the
> clustering, segmentation fault occurs and ptraj crashes. My cluster
> command looks like:
>
> cluster out iab6 representative pdb average pdb averagelinkage clusters 3
> rms mass .CA
>
> First, the PairwiseDistances are calculated and saved to the disk. Then,
> after some fairly long time (about two hours), the ClusterMerging.txt file
> is generated and dumped to the disk. Till this moment the program reports
> no problems at all. However, it is then when ptraj crashes upon attempting
> to "Aligning the most representative frames from each clusters to cluster
> 0". I tried the calculation on two different computers, with the same
> result in both cases. Would be grateful for help.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Adam Jarmula

Daniel R. Roe, PhD
Department of Medicinal Chemistry