Re: [AMBER] selecting a gpu device in multiple gpu system

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 09:35:54 -0500

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 6:02 AM, Marc van der Kamp <marcvanderkamp.gmail.com
> wrote:

> Dear Jong Hui,
>
> I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure that deviceQueryDrv will do the
> indexing based on the cards it sees (as set by CUDA_VISIBLE_DEVICES).
> This means that there is probably nothing wrong with your setup, it is just
> that your original "Device 1" will be called "Device 0" if you don't
> include 0 in CUDA_VISIBLE_DEVICES.

For confirmation, this is my experience as well. Only visible devices are
numbered, and they are always numbered from 0. The only way to truly
verify this for yourself is to have 2 different GPUs available, so you have
some way to distinguish between them besides a simple
(arbitrarily-assigned) index.

Good luck,

Quantum Theory Project,
University of Florida