Re: [AMBER] is AMBER FF good enough for long time scaled MD?

From: Vlad Cojocaru <vlad.cojocaru.mpi-muenster.mpg.de>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 14:50:40 +0100

Dear Albert,

I believe you are mistaken here. D.E. Shaw et co. have been using
own-modified versions of both AMBER and CHARMM in their long
simulations. In one talk from his group it was argued that their
modifications of these 2 ff work well for the cases they investigated.
In all talks I have seen from his group their modifications (e.g. ILDN
modifications in AMBER) performed better on long(er) time scale than the
original counterparts (e.g. ff19SB-ILDN versus original ff99SB, same
holds true for CHARMM)...

Best,
Vlad

On 11/21/2012 02:37 PM, Albert wrote:
> Yes, as we read the long time scaled MD paper from Deshaw group, they
> prefer CHARMM27 FF. If we read the methods and materials,which probably
> most people forget to care about, we always find the following sentence:
>
> /All simulations used the CHARMM27 force field for protein, ions, and
> water (51, 52); the//
> //CHARMM36 force field was used for lipids (53). Torsional backbone
> corrections: U = k·Σm//
> //(−1)m−1 · [(1 + cos m(φ − φ'))/m!], (m = 6 and k = 9.2 kcal·mol−1),
> centered at φ' = φxtal − 180°;//
> //were applied to SF residues Gly376 and Gly378 to prevent SF
> degradation on a timescale of//
> //microseconds (21); φxtal ~ 50° and φxtal ~ 100° for these residues in
> the crystal structure (10)./
>
> here is full text for it, in page 2 you can find those statements.
>
> That's why I asked if nowadays Amber FF good enough for such kind of
> purposes.
>
> best
> Albert

>> The answer must depend on the type of system (protein?) you are planinng
>> to simulate, and how you define "good enough". The DEShaw group has
>> reported long simulations with the ILDN modifications to Amber99SB, and
>> the modifications involved in ff12SB are of a similar nature. My group
>> has done a number of 1-2 microsecond simulations of very stable proteins
>> that show good structural equilibration and no long-term drift, using
>> ff12SB. But the generic question you proposed is surely unanswerable.
>>
>> ....dac

Dr. Vlad Cojocaru
Max Planck Institute for Molecular Biomedicine
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology
Röntgenstrasse 20, 48149 Münster, Germany
Tel: +49-251-70365-324; Fax: +49-251-70365-399
Email: vlad.cojocaru[at]mpi-muenster.mpg.de
http://www.mpi-muenster.mpg.de/research/teams/groups/rgcojocaru