Re: [AMBER] Problem with running QM/MM - MD simulation using AM1/d-PhoT method in AMBER12

From: Gustavo Seabra <gustavo.seabra.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 11:33:14 -0300

Some methods are more sensible than others to specific features of the molecular structure. Then, you may experience the blowout with one and not with other. This may or may not be related to the appropriateness of the parameters.

In your case, since you mention that the molecule is very close to molecules existent in the parametrisation set, it seems more likely that the instabilities are being caused by the larger basis set. Maybe we need some more elaborated algorithm for this in the future?

One thing that *may* help is, before turning on AM1/d-PhoT, try running it for a while with a more robust model, such as AM1, until the system seems "equilibrated". This *may* get you past the point where the instabilities happen. Turning on AM1/d-PhoT after this point may be a smaller perturbation in the system.

Cheers,
Gustavo Seabra