Re: [AMBER] Installation problem of AMBER12

From: Jan-Philip Gehrcke <jgehrcke.googlemail.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 17:49:45 +0200

Catein,

the best solution would really be to provide your "offline system" with
internet access, at least temporarily. Otherwise, installing the
packages you mentioned *plus their dependencies* will become a tedious task.

If for any reason it is really impossible for your system to connect to
the internet (nothing comes to my mind, so I'd be interested in your
reasons), we at least have to know which Linux distribution your
"offline" system is running exactly. Otherwise we can't help.

General comments:

Your system uses aptitude as package manager. The packages come as .deb
files, Debian packages. You can install a Debian package from a .deb
file via

$ sudo dpkg -i package.deb

So what's left is finding and downloading the correct package files. And
believe me, your package manager does a much better job with that than
you can do manually. However, it is possible. If you're running Ubuntu
(10.04 in this case, as an example), you can even make use of a nice
package website:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/gfortran

There you see that this gfortran package is a meta package not
containing any files itself, but defining a few dependencies: it depends
on cpp, gcc, gfortran-4-4. gcc itself depends on gcc-4.4, what itself
depends on a whole lot of more packages. You'd have to recursively
resolve all dependencies, download all packages and install them in the
right order. Also, you have to pray that, if your distribution's current
state is quite old, you'll not install incompatible packages because
they are too new. Basically, you'll find yourself in dependency hell:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dependency_hell

Your package manager ensures that all packages are installed
consistently with the rest of the system. Make use of it, by just
providing internet access to that machine or by creating a local package
repository:
http://www.packtpub.com/article/create-local-ubuntu-repository-using-apt-mirror-apt-cacher
(just from quick internet search, might be not an ideal method)

Cheers,

Jan-Philip