Re: [AMBER] Problem with PM6 in sqm

From: Brian Radak <radak004.umn.edu>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 13:54:09 -0400

Hi all,

Our group (although not me personally) was responsible for the MNDO/d and
AM1/d implementations in SQM, but not PM6, as that was added by the Walker
group. A quick glance at the code (qm2_parameters.F90) shows that MNDO/d
defaults to d-orbitals on Sulfur while AM1/d does not (only Phosphorus and
Magnesium are parameterized for now and mixing those is somewhat dubious).

If you are using the Gaussian interface then, as far as I know, there is no
d-orbital implementation whatsoever. There is also no electronic embedding
which would greatly complicate things in solution. NDDO type calculations
in Gaussian and SQM are therefore not likely to be comparable at all.

Regards,
Brian

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 1:00 PM, Wei Lin <w5lin.ucsd.edu> wrote:

> Thank you for your reply. We also did few more tests for the same system
> with MNDO/d and AM1/d (both use d orbitals for Sulfur if we are not
> mistaken). It appears that MNDO/d crashes also, but AM1/d and PM6
> through Gaussian interface work well. We guess it may be related to the
> way d-orbitals are handled in the PM6 sqm implementation.
>
> Thanks,
> Wei
>

> On 09/28/2012 08:50 AM, Matthew Zwier wrote:
> > We've observed this also, with systems with large spatial extents and
> > containing D orbitals. Localized systems work fine, systems without D
> > orbitals of any extent work fine. This is occurring in solution for
> > us.
> >
> > MZ
> >
> > On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 10:09 AM, Gerald Monard
> > <gerald.monard.univ-lorraine.fr> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I run some tests on your files. It seems indeed that only PM6 crashes at
> >> some point. Other semiempirical hamiltonians do not crash (I tested AM1,
> >> PM3, PM3-PDDG, and RM1). May be there is a problem in the PM6 potential
> >> energy surface describing your system.
> >>
> >> Sincerely,
> >>
> >> G. Monard.

> case.
> (SO4H^-)2
> something

> 787

> >> --

> >> Prof. Gerald MONARD
> >> Theoretical Chemistry and Biochemistry Group
> >> SRSMC, Université de Lorraine, CNRS
> >> Boulevard des Aiguillettes B.P. 70239
> >> F-54506 Vandoeuvre-les-Nancy, FRANCE
> >>
> >> e-mail : Gerald.Monard.univ-lorraine.fr
> >> tel. : +33 (0)383.684.381
> >> fax : +33 (0)383.684.371
> >> web : http://www.monard.info

================================ Current Address =======================
 Brian Radak                                             :     BioMaPS
Institute for Quantitative Biology
 PhD candidate - York Research Group       :     Rutgers, The State
University of New Jersey
 University of Minnesota - Twin Cities         :     Center for Integrative
Proteomics Room 308
 Graduate Program in Chemical Physics     :     174 Frelinghuysen Road,
 Department of Chemistry                          :     Piscataway, NJ
08854-8066
 radak004.umn.edu                                 :
radakb.biomaps.rutgers.edu