Re: [AMBER] TI and number of solvent molecules

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 13:48:37 -0400

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 1:34 PM, Fabrício Bracht <bracht.iq.ufrj.br> wrote:

> Hello. I have read in the manual that, if one uses softcore it is not
> necessary to have the same number of atoms in the topology files (and
> coordinates also?). Does that mean that the number of solvent
> molecules can also be different? What I mean is. Is there a problem if
> the total number of atoms of the systems are different, but not only
> due to the atoms lacking in the perturbed state, but also because leap
> adds different number of solvent molecules for each structure (for the
> one containing the group of study and for the one lacking that
> particular group)?

No, you need the same number of solvent molecules. The only places that
can differ are the perturbed region, I think.

You can use ParmEd to strip waters from the topology file, though, to make
them match. (An alternative is to make PDBs and do it through LEaP)

HTH,

Quantum Theory Project,
University of Florida
Ph.D. Candidate