Re: [AMBER] Antibiotics Parameters

From: FyD <fyd.q4md-forcefieldtools.org>
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2012 17:10:22 +0200

Dear Rezvan,

> I followed your suggestion and tried R.E.D. I basically don't
> understand what is going on in Fig 1 of the tutorials.

So we missed the role of this image ;-)

>> http://q4md-forcefieldtools.org/Tutorial/Tutorial-1.php#1
>> or
>> http://q4md-forcefieldtools.org/Tutorial/Tutorial-3.php#1

This image tries to summarize the central role of a force field
library (or a set of force field libraries in the mol2 (or mol3 file
format)) when one wishes to run MD simulations at
q4md-forcefieldtools.org: You start from PDB input file(s), where atom
and residue names are (more or less correctly) defined (by the user).
You execute Ante_R.E.D. to generate P2N file(s) from these PDB input
file(s). From the P2N file(s) mol2 files are generated by R.E.D. Then,
these mol2 files are loaded in LEaP (& associated with a selected
force field and other FF libraries; atom types are also added in LEaP
at this stage: see below) to generate the prmtop/prmcrd files for a
complex molecular system; these prmtop/prmcrd files are directly used
for MD simulations using sander/pmemd (AMBER) or indirectly used for
MD simulations using CHARMM.

> Are these parameters, AMBER parameters or CHARMM's?! Does it mean
> till producing Mol2/Mol3 files nothing different is going on?!

mol2 vs mol3: see http://q4md-forcefieldtools.org/Tutorial/leap-mol3.php

mol2 file: see http://q4md-forcefieldtools.org/Tutorial/leap-mol2.php

I would like to underline that the 'savemol2' command has been
incorporated in LEaP by C. Cezard at q4md-forcefieldtools.org; we also
have developed the mol3 file format.

> Then how these files turn into "rtf" format? Is it just rtf format
> with AMBER parameters or CHARMM parameters. As you know for sure
> these two force fields have totally different parameters.

The mol2 files generated by R.E.D. does not contain any FF parameter!

savemol2 unit mol2filename option
   -> utility of the 'option' add or not add the FF atom types of a
given force field

These FF atom types are added using a LEaP script...
See all the projects in R.E.DD.B. for instance W-46:
http://q4md-forcefieldtools.org/REDDB/projects/W-46/
  & its LEaP script:
http://q4md-forcefieldtools.org/REDDB/projects/W-46/script1.ff
where the FF atom types ... for the Cornell et al. FF are defined.

I am sure you can invent your own story for mol2 vs mol3 vs rtf file
formats and AMBER vs CHARMM ;-)

The new version of R.E.D. (we are working on) will handled many new
features (& the P2N & mol2 files will not be used anymore).

> This is exactly what I am trying to do:

I understand ;-)

> Find the AMBER parameters for an antibiotic which is inside a
> ribosome. I have AMBER parameters for ribosome in "CHARMM format"
> (because I run MD in NAMD and it needs CHARMM format). I need to
> have something similar for the antibiotic. Basically AMBER
> parameters, but once I got them I have to change the format to
> "CHARMM"'s.

"find the AMBER parameters"? I would answer you have to validate the
AMBER parameters in the CHARMM context...

regards, Francois