Re: [AMBER] TI run energy does not conserve

From: Brian Radak <radak004.umn.edu>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 10:09:53 -0400

Henry,

I'm not an expert on ligand binding, but I believe the cycle in the
tutorial will be compatible with QM/MM. The complication would be that
there are different heats of formation for the ligands if they differ in
the number and kinds of atoms. This will appear as a (probably unknown)
constant shift in the *relative* free energy of transformation between
ligands because the potential energies are on different scales.

However, if you calculate two relative free energies (one in solution and
one in the protein), then the shift will be the same in both legs and
formally cancel out when you calculate a relative binding free energy. You
can do the math yourself by assuming a constant in each QM Hamiltonian that
is only a function of the kinds of QM atoms and not their coordinates. The
constants will come out of the configuration integrals and thus be additive
to the free energy.

As for changing tempi, that may in fact be advantageous, but will not
change the fact that energy is not conserved. That behavior should only be
desired/expected when ntt=0. Of course you will probably not get physically
meaningful results unless the system is first equilibrated near the
temperature of interest (look up ensemble equivalence in the book by Allen
and Tildesley for example).

Regards,
Brian