Re: [AMBER] pi-pi stacking interaction and hydrogen bonding with amber

From: jit mukherjee <jitiitkgp.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 23:29:22 +0530

Dear sir,
I have some systems where pi-pi interaction and hydrogen bonding should
take a vital role in determining the structure and energetics of the
system. Now, I had a initial 'bad' structure of the system. So, I simulated
it in amber classical force field. After simulation,I looked upon the
structure and it seems that there is pi-pi stacking interaction(parallel in
some systems and non-parallel) and also hydrogen bonding because the
distance between the H-acceptor pair meets the criteria of hydrogen bonding.

Now, I am trying to optimizing the simulated structure through the QM
package TURBOMOLE with density functional theory but using a very low level
method and basis set. After optimization, it seems that the pi-pi stacking
interaction is no more in the structures!

So,can I take the structure after simulation as the 'real' structure for
the system or should I use high level quantum method to optimize the
simulated structure. Actually, my systems are too big to avail the
computational cost for the high level quantum method.

Regards,
jit