Re: [AMBER] Difficulty using ptraj to generate pdb frames from .mdcrd trajectory

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 15:27:19 -0400

This is not much help for the current issue (large files have proven
unwieldy in the past -- see all the bug fixes addressed to cpptraj/ptraj to
fix reading of such large files).

My suggestion is to use NetCDF files exclusively for trajectory files. The
advantages:

binary file format (so it is much, much smaller than ASCII mdcrd files),
files are difficult to completely corrupt (even if one or two frames are),
file reading is probably ~1 order of magnitude faster, and the coordinates
are stored with higher precision.

The disadvantage: data can only be accessed via an API, so you *need* to
use cpptraj/ptraj/VMD (or write your own program using the NetCDF API).

HTH,
Jason

Quantum Theory Project,
University of Florida