Re: [AMBER] R: strange POPC under lipids 11 FF

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 15:56:27 -0700

I rest my case: BOGUS!!!

That paper gets the award for stating the bleeding obvious. How people were
able to publish such things in 2004 is beyond me. I thought this issue had
been more or less put to bed when PME came out in the 90s.

Their conclusion is pretty simple. If you use stupid spherical truncation
methods you ("quite obviously!") see issues due to that truncation and
variation in behavior as a function of cutoff. Now why on earth ANYBODY
would still be doing such things 20 years after the solution (PME) was
published I have absolutely no idea. As they show in that paper, PME fixes
it (and is a damn site faster to boot) so why do they bother with the rest
of the tests? Oh to get a publication, of course. :-(

There is a reason that AMBER's PMEMD does NOT support simple spherical
cutoffs. Use PME with a 8 to 10 angstrom cutoff and you should be fine. We
have checked and the cutoff value once above 8 has little to no difference
on the applied surface tension. You might see very minor differences due to
truncation of VDW terms at the cutoff but these are very minor.

Short answer: The person at the charmm workshop was most likely misinformed
or had not kept up with the current recommended approaches for MD
simulations. Papers like this one don't help unfortunately.

Now that said, it may be necessary to adjust the constant surface tension
term as a function of the number of lipids in your bi-layer although I would
expect that to converge as the number of lipids increases.

All the best
Ross