Re: [AMBER] R: strange POPC under lipids 11 FF

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 15:33:37 -0700

> Here is the notes for this explanation I got:
>
> *"Changing the cutoffs changes the forces between molecules, which are
> used to compute the pressure terms....."*

Yeap... total BS, unless you are using some ancient cutoff approach from the
early 90's instead of PME which nobody in their right mind would do. The VDW
interactions could have a small affect at the cutoff but this is effectively
zero by the time you have reached 10 angstroms. In our experience using PME
and a cutoff of 8 you see no measurable difference moving to 10 or 12
angstroms other than vastly increased computation time.

Short answer: Don't believe everything people tell you unless you can
evaluate that they know what they are talking about. That of course includes
'me' ;-) So I advise you to study the underlying mathematical theory and
make your own conclusions.

All the best
Ross

/\