Re: [AMBER] Convergence problems with rism1d and water model other than SPC

From: tluchko <tluchko.rutgers.edu>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2012 15:10:43 -0400

Hi Fabrício,

At this time, I cannot recommend using a four-site water model with
RISM. The extra site in these models causes problems for RISM and,
given the effects of orientational averaging in the RISM method, it
isn't clear that there is any benefit. Though MDL files are provided
for these models as part of the AmberTools distribution, they should be
considered experimental at best.

For convergence issues in general, there are a couple of other
approaches you can try. These use the ability to start a new
calculation from the restart file of a previous solution. Use
'ksave=-1' to automatically produce a restart file when a solution has
converged.
- start at a high temperature and slowly decrease it.
- turn off charges and slowly increase them.
- start at a low density and slowly increase it.
- If you are trying to use a higher order closure, start with KH and
then use increasing values of n for the PSE-n closure.

Hope this helps,

Tyler