Re: [AMBER] No C-terminal GLH in aminoct*.in

From: Marc van der Kamp <marcvanderkamp.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 08:29:17 +0100

Hi Jason,

Thanks again for your informed reply. I agree with the points you make re:
environment and coupling effects on the pKa's of the carboxylates in a
C-terminal glutamate / glutamic acid residue.
It was probably not appropriate to cite Thurkill et al. specifically here -
I just wanted to point out the likely order of pKa's of the side-chain and
C-terminal carboxylate in a C-terminal Glu residue.

Let me first say that I don't expect the residue to be important for
interactions or dynamics and that the NMR bundle points to a quite solvent
exposed (and 'disordered') C-terminal residue.
Then, from a quantum-mechanical perspective, the side-chain carboxylate of
a C-terminal glutamate would have a higher proton-affinity than the
C-terminal carboxylate, wouldn't it? The side-chain carboxylate is more
electronically 'isolated' than the C-terminal carboxylate, after all.
Wouldn't the coupling between the two carboxylate pKa's result in the
side-chain carboxylate shifting up and the C-terminal carboxylate shifting
down a little?
Predictions from propka3.0 on the models in my NMR bundle (which
incorporates coupling between different groups as well as the environment,
albeit in a relatively crude way of course) also point in this direction,
with the average pKa for the C-terminal carboxylate around 3.3 and the
side-chain carboxylate around 4.7.

I'd like to stay as close as possible (with standard MM MD) to the species
present in the NMR experiment; if I'd put a NME cap on the C-terminus, I
think I'd be further away from that than if I model the C-terminal
glutamate/glutamic acid as one of the possible (and probably most likely)
protonation states.

Thanks,
Marc
PS Francois, I saw your reply now too - thanks; I used 'extrapolate' for
want of a better word, and understand your dislike of using extrapolation
in relation to charge derivation! (hence the single quotes).