Re: [AMBER] Amber tools 12 and esp visualization in VMD and PyMol

From: Ray Luo, Ph.D. <ray.luo.uci.edu>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 17:55:59 -0700

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: <wmsmith.uci.edu>
Date: Mon, May 21, 2012 at 5:45 PM
Subject: Re: Fwd: [AMBER] Amber tools 12 and esp visualization in VMD and
PyMol
To: "Ray Luo, Ph.D." <ray.luo.uci.edu>
Cc: Wesley Smith <wmsmith.uci.edu>, Sudarshan Debnath <
sudarshandebnath.ku.rediffmail.com>, Ray Luo <ray.luo.uci.edu>

Dr. Sudarshan Debnath,
 It looks like you are displaying the raw potential isosurface under the
"points" drawing method. This usually doens't come out very good. If you
are after the zero-potential isosurface, using the "Solid Surface"
option under the "Draw" pulldown menu will give you much a much better
looking surface. If you want to project the potential to the molecular
surface you will need to load the molecule from the .top and .rst first
and then load the phi.dx file into it.

Section 8.4.2 through 8.4.12 in the AmberTools12 manual
(http://ambermd.org/doc12/AmberTools12.pdf) explain how to use the
potential and levelset dx files for visualization in VMD.

 If you forward me the phi.dx file I will see if I can get it working as a
surface map for the van der waals molecular surface (using the radii in
the .top file).

-Wes