Re: [AMBER] new Mg parameters

From: Jiri Sponer <sponer.ncbr.muni.cz>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 13:59:31 +0200 (MEST)

I would tell if it is not specifically interacting,
Mg2+ is dispensable on that short time scale and
its exclusion may prevent limits from sampling and
some spurious interactions.
Of course, some referees may vigorously require magnesium
must be included because it is "more biological", which, considering
the force field approximation is quite questionable, or at least
such justification is an oversimplification.
Thus we mostly run monovalent simulations and then some control
Mg2+ simulation. Without testing, it is difficult to tell if new
parameters are better or not, even different or not.
Water model is an open issue...

But I would like to reiterate that I do not want to make
any authoritative statement.
We have some discussions in
Understanding RNA Flexibility Using Explicit Solvent Simulations: The
Ribosomal and Group I Intron Reverse Kink-Turn Motifs
  Sklenovsky et al. JCTC 7 Pages: 2963-2980 DOI: 10.1021/ct200204t 2011
and Sponer, Cang, Cheatham Molecular dynamics simulations of G-DNA and
perspectives on the simulation of nucleic acid structures Methods in
press.

Again, there are no "perfect" or "guaranteed" options.

Jiri