Re: [AMBER] Large standard deviation of entropy obtained from NMODE

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 01:11:19 -0700

Hello,

Sorry it took so long for me to get to this. I have a couple comments.
First, I think this bug was fixed via bugfix.27 for AmberTools 1.5. In any
case, I suggest upgrading to AmberTools 12, since the script has been
updated, and I can verify with this updated version that your issue no
longer exists.

When I use the new version on the output files you provided, I get this
output:

Complex:
Entropy Term Average Std. Dev. Std. Err. of
Mean
Translational 15.4755 0.0000
0.0000
Rotational 14.9945 0.0167
0.0075
Vibrational 487.4325 1.9231
0.8600
Total 517.9026 1.9397
0.8675

Receptor:
Entropy Term Average Std. Dev. Std. Err. of
Mean
Translational 14.8601 0.0000
0.0000
Rotational 14.2156 0.0067
0.0030
Vibrational 247.0084 0.7832
0.3503
Total 276.0839 0.7900
0.3533

Ligand:
Entropy Term Average Std. Dev. Std. Err. of
Mean
Translational 14.8601 0.0000
0.0000
Rotational 14.2318 0.0116
0.0052
Vibrational 246.9027 0.5159
0.2307
Total 275.9945 0.5274
0.2359

Differences (Complex - Receptor - Ligand):
Entropy Term Average Std. Dev. Std. Err. of
Mean
Translational -14.2447 0.0000
0.0000
Rotational -13.4528 0.0234
0.0105
Vibrational -6.4786 2.5576
1.1438

DELTA S total= -34.1758 2.5798
1.1537

As expected, the standard deviation is significantly reduced (down to what
it should be) -- and this new version gives you the standard error of the
mean as well.

An additional comment about why the numbers do not exactly match your
values: The standard deviation in MMPBSA.py is actually calculated as the
square root of the variance. The difference between your values and the
values MMPBSA.py prints is the difference between the standard deviation of
the sample (MMPBSA.py) and the sample standard deviation (your values)
described here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_deviation#Estimation

HTH,
Jason

P.S. -- You should be able to patch AmberTools 1.5 with bugfix.27 (I
suggest applying all bugfixes), rebuild MMPBSA.py (cd
$AMBERHOME/AmberTools/src/mmpbsa_py && make) and then just run the command

MMPBSA [original command-line arguments] -rewrite-output

to avoid redoing the calculation from the beginning (assuming, of course,
that you kept the necessary files to do so). If you still have problems,
please let me know.

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 9:40 PM, Xioling Chuang <xioling_c.hotmail.com>wrote:

> Dear Experts,
>
> I tried to calculate the entropy for 5 snapshorts of DNA duplex using
> NMODE (MMPBSA.py).
> The result (file "FINAL_RESULTS_MMPBSA.dat") showed the total entropy (at
> 298.15 K) as following:
> => Complex: 517.90 +/- 1.94
> => Receptor: 276.08 +/- 0.79
> => Ligand: 275.99 +/- 0.53
>
> => delta S total: -34.18 +/- 18.89
>
> However, when I analyzed the average values and there standard deviations
> of the files
> "_MMPBSA_complex_nm.out" , "_MMPBSA_receptor_nm.out" and
> "_MMPBSA_ligand_nm.out", I got same average values but different S.D.;
> => Complex: 517.90 +/- 2.17
> => Receptor: 276.08 +/- 0.88
> => Ligand: 275.99 +/- 0.59
>
> => delta S total: -34.18 +/- 2.88
>
> As you can see, the S.D. of delta S total is very different compared with
> that obtained from file "FINAL_RESULTS_MMPBSA.dat".
> Please see attached files for *nm.out files.
>
> Could anyone give me the comment please?
>
> Regards,
> Xioling

Quantum Theory Project,
University of Florida