Re: [AMBER] RESP structure optimization for larger ligand

From: FyD <fyd.q4md-forcefieldtools.org>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2012 10:33:40 +0200

Dear Robin, dear Ross,

> I am working on parameterizing NADH for an updated tutorial on RESP and
> Paramfit, but I'm running into problems with how to obtain an optimized
> structure. I downloaded an "ideal" solvated structure from the PDB and ran
> a B3LYP optimization in gas phase according to the procedure outlined in
> tutorial A1.

I do not think that:
- the tutorial A1 is a reference; this was discussed some time ago and
nothing was corrected so far. I even think that this tutorial teaches
wrong approaches to new users.
- using B3LYP will help in the case of NADH as this structure is
multiply charged.
- using a 'solvated' structure will help as NADH can also be docked in
a protein site (see Dean's answer as well in a previous email).

> The resulting structure is folded up and quite different from
> the more realistic solvated structure, so I was wondering how to proceed.

I think the "building block approach" is an answer to your question.
  See first:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jcc.540161106/abstract
  & for instance the nucleic acid case.
  then:
Concerning NADH, see the project related to biochemical cofactors in
R.E.DD.B. which follows this "building block approach":
http://q4md-forcefieldtools.org/REDDB/projects/F-90/ for instance or F-91.

> Running a RESP on an unrealistic structure doesn't seem like it would give
> sensical results.

I agree

> Is there any sort of "industry standard" for approaching this problem? Ross
> Walker suggested conducting the optimization step using DFT with implicit
> solvent to perhaps obtain a better structure.

I do not think using implicit solvent conditions and/or DFT in the
geometry optimization step will help for multiply charged bio-organic
structures; My feeling is that you should go back to the "building
block approach" originally described by the Kollman's group in the
middle of the 90tees and developed nowadays at q4md-forcefieldtools.org.

If you have questions about this "building block approach" do not
hesitate to ask more questions; You should find many pieces of
information in the F-90 R.E.DD.B. project.

I hope this helps.

regards, Francois