Re: [AMBER] anisotropic pressure in bilayer simulation

From: Benjamin D Madej <bmadej.ucsd.edu>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 16:11:21 +0000

Vijay,

In the latest release of Amber 12, we have included a couple new options for simulating bilayers. In particular, there is now constant surface tension available, which has been used for lipid simulations. Feller et al in J. Chem. Phys. 1999 have a good description of constant surface tension.

There is anisotropic pressure coupling as well as a new option for semi-isotopic pressure coupling. Semi-isotopic pressure coupling combines the pressure in the XY (or XZ or YZ) direction independent of Z direction (or Y or X) direction.

What I think you want is a combination of semi-isotropic pressure coupling and a constant surface tension for your simulation of the bilayers. Many parameter sets (except parameter sets developed for a tensionless ensemble) have used this ensemble for simulation. The Amber 12 manual includes more details about how to set this.

Ben Madej
Walker Molecular Dynamics Lab