Re: [AMBER] MM/PBSA calculations

From: Ray Luo, Ph.D. <ray.luo.uci.edu>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 16:46:29 -0700

Just a comment on this ... use of protein dielectric constant other
than 1 is a reasonable way to consider the polarization effect that is
absent from the underlining force field or the limited sampling in the
MD simulations. Ideally, we should use polarizable force fields for MD
and MMPBSA calculations, but we still have to wait for these types of
force fields to mature for routine applications.

If you want to use the strategy, you'll need to use the same protein
dielectric constant for both the PB part and the Coulomb part to be
consistent as what Hou et al did. This can be demonstrated with a
thermodynamic cycle for the binding calculation, though I have to say
that it is not trivial to show.

You can say that this is an extension of the original MMPBSA approach.

All the best,
Ray