Re: [AMBER] AMBER12 QM/MM: is d-orbital code going to be parallelized?

From: filip fratev <filipfratev.yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 22:30:55 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Prof. Case and Andreas,
Thank you for your responses!
I use the last TeraChem version - 1.5.
According to Amber 12 manual there is no limitations, as such for GAMMES, for
electronic embedding in TeraChem. Are you sure that with this version it is
possible only mechanical embedding or I should I ask Petachem developers about
that?

I performed some tests using TeraChem and
Gaussian as external programs to assess mainly the GPU speed up by TeraChem. I
used two GTX580 3GB cards and 2600K.4.6Ghz CPU. Some results and questions:

1) Indeed all Amber tests passed.
2) Secondly I tested the example from Tutorial
A2. Both programs work well with Amber link and gave very similar results using
various parameters. In this test (only 12 QM atoms) Gaussian was faster than
TeraChem (TC) for minimization. In the case of MD simulation I observed only
20% boost in the performance using TC. Moreover, TC was faster with one GPU
instead of two (30% slower with 2 GPU's). This is likely due to the small
system size. In fact using Gaussian I was not able to achieve some good
CPU-core scale too.
3) Further I performed some more realistic tests
using Myosin protein (MM) + ATP-Mg2+ (QM). The system is around 116K atoms
solvated. Here TeraChem had a clear advantage but not exactly what I expected. During
the 20 steps minimization TC was 4.75x faster than Gaussian (all cores) and
during MD 4.3x. It is indeed impressive because for only 20 steps MD (it was
6-31G, but I do not remember b3lyp or something else) it took 705sec using Gaussian
and only 163sec by TeraChem; 4,9ps vs 21.2ps/day. Here again the GPU scale is
the main problem - the second GPU adds only 20% speed up. If I use only
TeraChem for optimization it is 100%, thus one can expect around 8 x speeds up.
What could be the problem? The software link or
something else?

I tested (not only now) the GPU speed up when
use only TeraChem for optimization or just SP and it is exactly 2x for two
GPU's, doesn't matter for 30 or 150 atoms. What are your advices and in general
is it possible to be improved GPU speed up for the Amber-TeraChem combination?

I am not expert in QM/MM calculations that's
why would like to ask you what semi-empirical method in Amber will best fit for
ATP-Mg2+ system and what is the best way, in your opinion, to describe the
energy difference of  ATP-Mg2+ binding if
mutations are present in the ATP binding pocket?

All the best,
Filip