Re: [AMBER] Why RMSD goes fast to 5 angstrom?

From: <steinbrt.rci.rutgers.edu>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 03:21:30 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

what Jason says is correct, but I doubt it is the reason for your rmsd
increase.

>> analysis, I found that the C alpha RMSD is continiously increasing and
>> finally is is up to *5 Ã…*. The averaged RMSD for the* 0-1ns*
>> simulation, *
>> 1-6ns* simulation, *6-11ns* simulation is *2.3** Ã…, 2.86 Ã…, 3.89
>> Ã…,*respectively. Attached
>> is the RMSD figures.* It seems abnormal* and could you tell me where is
>> the
>> problem.

How do you know there is a problem? The first step would be to visualize
the structure and check what kind of dynamics are happening. Do you assume
the solvated structure to be stable and close to the X-ray coordinates? If
yes, why? Does the protein have very flexible termini (check residuewise
fluctuations)? Which structural parts behave different from what you
expected?

A total rmsd of 5A is a lot for typical proteins, but unless you find the
reason for it, which could be both a mistake in simulation setup or an
underlying structural reason, it is hard to say what you should do
different...

Kind Regards,

Thomas

Dr. Thomas Steinbrecher