Re: [AMBER] Could not read velocities from restart file

From: <steinbrt.rci.rutgers.edu>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 10:08:14 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

> restarted the computer to install some updates (first by killing the pmemd
> process, which may not have been the proper way).

I would agree that this is not the proper way and that one should split
long simulations into pieces and keep intermediate rst-files (check the
ntwr<0 option) so that precisely this does not happen, but anyways:

> Upon restarting the simulation, I get the error at the bottom of the new
> output file:
>
> | ERROR: Could not read velocities from 4.rst

Check if your rst file contains the correct 3*N number of coordinates and
3*N velocities. If you were unlucky enough to kill the process right when
it was halfway done with writing a rst file, you may have truncated and
thereby corrupted it.

However all is not lost I guess:

if your rst file contains enough coordinates (3*natom, so natom/2+3 lines)
and only misses velocities, you could delete all velocity lines and just
restart your system (ntx=1) at 300K. This introduces a little disturbance
but that should rapidly equilibrate away (in few ps). You may have to rest
the box in xleap, as box coordinates are at the end of the rst-file.

If your rst file is unusable, you could extract the last snapshot from the
mdcrd-file and convert it into a rst (via ptraj) and restart your
simulation from that point. crd-files have a lower accuracy than
rst-files, but again, this should equilibrate away very quickly, compared
to a multinanosecond simulation.

if ptraj cannot read your crd file either, you can (if you used ASCII
mdcrd format) parse through the mdcrd by yourself and see if you can
extract a useful snapshot as far advanced in your trajectory as possible
and restart from there.

Each of these solutions would introduce a small but in my opinion
acceptable inaccuracy into your system. That may be difficult to explain
in a paper, but otherwise you should be ok.

For materials and methods: ;-)

"At 1448 ns simulation time, velocities were discarded and replaced by a
Boltzmann velocity distribution at room temerature. This procedure was
conducted to ensure proper system equilibration and stability. (innocent
whistling)"

Regards,

Thomas

Dr. Thomas Steinbrecher