Re: [AMBER] GB/SA

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2012 13:10:30 -0400

On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 12:15 PM, Aron Broom <broomsday.gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi AMBER Users,
>
> In reading through the Generalized Born section of the manual, I see that
> the surface area calculations are off by default gbsa=0. Does this mean
> that there will be no penalty for exposing hydrophobics to the implicit
> solvent in this case?

I would claim that force fields are a little too complex to say yes or no.
Unravelling the protein will remove favorable VDW interactions between
hydrophobic regions for one thing (along with a myriad of other effects, of
course), which I would argue is a penalty for exposing hydrophobics.
Setting gbsa=0 will disable the surface area-specific terms which typically
serve to minimize SASA, but I've noticed that my simulations are quite
stable running in GB solvent without a nonpolar term (i.e., my simulations
have gbsa=0).

> If one is attempting to reconstruct the correct
> secondary structure or other structural features for a peptide, would
> gbsa=1 generally be the recommended setting?

I think it's typically more important for methods like MM/GBSA where
solvent exposed regions change rather significantly (you're removing a
ligand from a bound site, after all) -- I haven't seen stability problems
with my GB simulations where I use gbsa=0. Furthermore, I don't think
gbsa=1 is nearly enough to correct GB when it performs badly for
conformational sampling, so for dynamics I think you may be fine omitting
it (it does depend on your study and system, though, and what you're trying
to learn).

HTH,

Quantum Theory Project,
University of Florida