Re: [AMBER] Odd coordinate writing problem in pmemd.MPI

From: <steinbrt.rci.rutgers.edu>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 16:33:05 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Ross,

> Is this reproducible? Or does it appear to be random?

I'll check about that. I never experienced this problem before but this
may be the first time that I write such a large trajectory quickly and in
one piece. Other people certainly must have though and this issue would be
very noticeable.

> Is there anything magical about the point at which it happens as well.
> if it occurs almost exactly when the trajectory reaches 2GB in size (or
> 4GB)
> then it is almost certainly some corruption due to use of 32 bit ints in

good point, that looks possible. The crd-file is about 10GB large and
scrambled coords start at 41% of the file onwards.

> file handling. It would take some searching to locate this, it could be
> anywhere from within the pmemd code, in the MPI library or in the
> operating
> system I/O library (maybe even the compiler used). Can you confirm that
> you
> are running a 64 bit OS with 64 bit compilers, and 64 bit MPI?

yes, yes (gcc from Fedora x86_64) and I believe yes. Openmpi state that
they support 32 as well as 64 bit OS and the library was compiled from
source.

> Also are you writing locally or to a remote file system?

This is locally on the same machine.

I will see if I can find a way to reliably reproduce the problem and
isolate where it is coming from (amber, compilers or mpi libraries...).

Thomas

Dr. Thomas Steinbrecher
formerly at the
BioMaps Institute