Re: [AMBER] Problems testing pmemd.cuda.MPI

From: Ben Roberts <ben.roberts.geek.nz>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 12:14:18 +1300

Hi Adam,

On 25/03/2012, at 3:21 PM, Adam Jion wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have installed Amber11 and it's parallel GPU version, pmemd.cuda.MPI.
>
> However, I have problems in the testing phase of pmemd.cuda.MPI.
> This is my error log:
>
> adam.adam-MS-7750:~/amber11/test$ ./test_amber_cuda_parallel.sh
> Error: DO_PARALLEL is not set! Set DO_PARALLEL and re-run the tests.
> How do I set DO_PARALLEL?

This is an ambiguous question, so I'll try to answer it both ways.

You set DO_PARALLEL by putting it before the test command (in sh-type shells like sh, bash or dash) or by using the "set" command (in C-shell type shells like csh or tcsh):

sh, bash, etc.:
[user.computer directory]$ DO_PARALLEL='value' ./test_amber_cuda_parallel.sh

csh, tcsh, etc.:
[user.computer directory]$ set DO_PARALLEL 'value'
[user.computer directory]$ ./test_amber_cuda_parallel.sh

As for the value that you give it, it should be mpirun or mpiexec (depending on your MPI implementation), along with whatever command-line flags you think most helpful -- a common flag is -np <number>, which is the number of MPI processes that will be spawned. For example:

DO_PARALLEL='mpirun -np 2'

However, you will need to consult the documentation for your system, or ask your computer support personnel, as we can't advise regarding specific systems.

Best,
Ben