Re: [AMBER] charges for ion and surrounding residues at the active site

From: FyD <fyd.q4md-forcefieldtools.org>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 12:55:07 +0100

Dear Jorge,

You need to extract the "active site" from the protein; this
'extracted' active site is a 'part' of the protein i.e. a _molecular
fragment_.

A molecular fragment does not exist in quantum mechanics (QM); so this
molecular fragment as to be transformed (using well chosen capping
groups) into a _whole molecule_ for the geometry optimization (i) and
MEP computation (ii) steps performed by QM. Then, during the charge
fitting step (iii) specific charge constraints (intra- and/or
inter-molecular charge constraint(s); See
http://q4md-forcefieldtools.org/RED/resp/) are used to generated the
wanted _molecular fragment_, which was originally extracted from the
protein.

Key points are:
- checking that the optimized geometry generated during the geometry
optimization (i) using the capped molecular fragment is similar to
that in the protein. Here, you can test different capping group
approaches and/or use geometrical constraint(s) during the geometry
optimization (i).
- comparing the charge values in presence and in absence of these
intra- and/or inter-molecular charge constraint(s) during the charge
fitting step so that these constraints do not impact 'too much' the
charge fitting step (iii).

R.E.D. generates the required molecular fragment(s) in the mol2 file
format (FF library) starting from P2N input file(s) (where the pieces
of information required to build the wanted fragment are provided by
the user; see
http://q4md-forcefieldtools.org/Tutorial/Tutorial-1.php#3).
At the end, this FF library is loaded in the LEaP program with the
Amber Force Field Topology DataBase to be able to generate the
prmtop/prmcrd files for the entire protein.
See http://q4md-forcefieldtools.org/Tutorial/Tutorial-1.php#1

all these are only generalities ;-)

regards, Francois