[AMBER] GPU performance and GPU Direct

From: <steinbrt.rci.rutgers.edu>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 08:26:53 -0500 (EST)

Hi CUDA users,

I have a few short questions on running pmemd.cuda{,.MPI}:

- It is suggested to enable GPU Direct for running across multiple nodes.
Will this also affect performance for two GPU cards within the same node
or does it only concern Infiniband connects?

- My machine has only two GPUs, no onboard graphics. Therefore, GPU0
defaults to screen output, even at runlevel 3. If I boot up without a
screen attached, will one of my GPUs still handle displaying a useless
login screen? Does this affect performance? If yes, how to avoid?

- Scaling to 2 GPUs even in the same node gives about a 20% speedup
(comparable to the benchmarks). Is there a specific bottleneck for this,
like input file settings, system size etc? Did anyone see significantly
better scaling under some circumstances? Not that running 900 cores in a
single machine isn't awesome, but at the moment it seems running two
independent sims on each GPU would be preferable.

Kind Regards,

Thomas

Dr. Thomas Steinbrecher
formerly at the