Re: [AMBER] ABMD in pmemd.cuda in AMBER 12

From: Aron Broom <broomsday.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 13:45:37 -0500

Hi Jason,

Thanks a lot for the reply.

If I was going to make an attempt to do that migration, are you aware of
any fundamental barriers for putting the NCSU codes on the GPU? I can
imagine all kinds of horrible problems, but just wondered if you were aware
of some critical issues, or if it was more a matter of time versus user
interest at this point.

Thanks again,

~Aron

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 1:18 PM, Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 1:08 PM, Aron Broom <broomsday.gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Dear AMBER Developers,
> >
> > I realize you might be getting tired of all the questions concerning the
> > imminent release of AMBER 12, but I'm extremely interested to know if
> > things like Adaptively Biased Molecular Dynamics will be made available
> in
> > the cuda implementation in AMBER 12? I've been using it in sander, but
> the
> > performance-to-cost boost of using AMBER on GPUs is so extreme at the
> > moment when using something like a GTX570 in a desktop, that it is very
> > hard to justify using sander.
> >

> No, ABMD will not be making it into pmemd.cuda. (None of the NCSU codes
> are being migrated over). Accelerated MD should be included, though, as an
> alternative to ABMD.
>
> HTH,
> Jason
>

> > Thanks,