Re: [AMBER] Mixing GAFF and OPLS force field

From: FyD <fyd.q4md-forcefieldtools.org>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 18:14:47 +0100

Guoxiong,

> Thank you for your reply. I will do as suggested to find a RESP
> charge for OPLS.
> Then how can I get the LJ parameters between those 'GAFF-particles'
> and 'OPLS-particles' since they are using two kinds of combine rules?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzonitrile

I would first try the simplest approach; and modify it if the box is
not correct...

if you decide to use the default Amber RESP approach (i.e. RESP-A1 in
the R.E.D. III.5 tools) for all your molecules, you could build a box
with vdW parameters from parm99.dat. Once you got your box, you study
its density, etc...

If you look at vdW param in gaff:

the atom types required for the nitrile group seems to be:
c1 12.01 0.360 Sp C
n1 14.01 0.530 Sp N
vdW parameters seem to be the same for n1/n3
   c1 1.9080 0.0860 cp C
   c3 1.9080 0.1094 OPLS
   n1 1.8240 0.1700 OPLS
   n3 1.8240 0.1700 OPLS

Consequently, I would first try to build a box for benzonitrile using
vdW param from amber99.dat and charges obtained with the default RESP
approach; then study the box to see how it goes...

or you decide to follow for all the OPLS approach...

regards, Francois