Re: [AMBER] Problem building octahedral coordinated ligands in LEaP

From: Jesper Sørensen <jesorensen.ucsd.edu>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 10:38:54 -0800

Dear John,

I am just adding the reply to this list email so that people can see what I ended up doing.
Yes I did end up figuring out how to use the Magnesium parameters. I can see Tom already answered to point and is updating his files, but I've attached a sample tleap script which does what he is suggesting too.

There are two sets of parameters that you can use.
1) The Aqvist parameters from 1990-ish, which are included in the AMBER force field, or
2) you can the 2007 dummy atom version MD(6)2+ from Oelschlaeger et al. 2007 JMB 366, 687-701.

For option 1)
From emails from Prof. Case, do this:

Go to $AMBERHOME/dat/leap/lib, and edit ions08.cmd
Change the line
    i = createAtom Mg+ Mg+ 2.0
    i = createAtom Mg+ MG 2.0

The type "tleap -f ions08.cmd"

The tleap script expects your Magnesium atom in the pdb file to be named like this:
HETATM 2123 Mg+ Mg+ A 502 45.408 19.600 12.379 1.00 5.17 MG

For option 2)

I've attached files for the 2nd option here, I got them from: http://atlas.physbio.mssm.edu/~tom/.
There are the two parameter files (a frcmod and an off file) and an example tleap script.

The tleap script expects your Magnesium atom in the pdb file to be named like this:
HETATM 2123 MD MG A 502 45.408 19.600 12.379 1.00 5.17 MG

I don't know what MD-engine you plan on using, but a standard version of NAMD will not run with the dummy atoms as it thinks they are hydrogen atoms bonded together and crashes. There is a fix for this in NAMD and I can help you there if you need it, but it does work without a hitch in PMEMD as far as I know.

I hope this helps.

Best,
Jesper