Re: [AMBER] Issues with hydrogens using glycam force field in Amber 10

From: Lachele Foley (Lists) <"Lachele>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 12:00:21 -0500

The motions of the hydrogens look pretty normal in my repeat of your
production run. But, I used sander.MPI in Amber 11. I'd have to
compile Amber 10 before I could try it there.

Could you quantify "a lot" with regard to the C-H stretching? I chose
a C-H bond at random and got an average of 1.09 with a standard
deviation of 0.0004. If you're getting something different from that
in general, let me know, and I'll try amber 10.

The rotations are pretty normal. The greater dielectric in solution
(implicit or otherwise) means that hydrogen bonding isn't as strong.
So, the hydroxyls do tend to rotate around a lot in solution. This is
one of the reasons the GLYCAM force field uses ensemble-averaged
charges rather than charges derived from a single structure: it tries
to model charge averaged over the normal motions of the hydroxyls. In
fact, all the hydrogens move a lot (except stretching, if all goes as
planned). The fact that you are in implicit solvent does make it
easier for things to move: there are no longer all those massive
waters that have to be jostled around before the solute can move. So,
they move around faster, but the basic movements should be similar.

If you are truly concerned about hydrogen bonding, though, you might
want to consider carefully your choice of implicit solvent model, and
whether you want one at all.

--
:-) Lachele
Lachele Foley