Re: [AMBER] what do reprocessing steps do in md simulation?

From: Irene Newhouse <einew.hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 07:12:39 -1000

To equlibrate a structure you want to use a sequence of steps like this:

 5000
     cycles with only the water molecules and ions permitted to move
 5000
     cycles with only water molecules, ions, and hydrogen atoms in motion.
 5000
     cycles with the protein backbone fixed & all other atoms in motion

This was followed by heating the system to 300K, with
all the backbone fixed, over 500,000 steps (0.5nsec). The next stage used 500,000
steps of MD in the NPT ensemble to adjust the density of the solvent box, with
the protein backbone still held fixed. There followed four steps of molecular
dynamics with the protein backbone permitted increasing degrees of harmonic
motion, each iteration also 0.5 nsec long. Restraint forces of 4, 3, 2, and 1 kcal/mole/A**2,
respectively, were used before production MD was undertaken. I don't run sander, I use NAMD with the AMBER force field & AMBER parameters, so the restraint forces that are easiest to set may differ for you. I don't think that matters particularly, just that you use a similar procedure. When I use this sequence, the backbone RMSD usually levels off after 2-5 nsec of production MD. I didn't invent this sequence; I learned it from members of the McCammon group. Irene Newhouse