Re: [AMBER] Free Energy Calculations of Potassium and Chloride

From: Sai Kumar Ramadugu <sramadugu.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 11:32:34 -0600

Dr Steinbrecher,
While I was going through the analysis of removal of vdW parameters using
soft-core potentials, the dV/dL values deviate much more in the range of
0.4-0.6. It happens in your JCC manuscript too. Its for Chloride ion Fig 6b.

Further, I did another calculation for the KCl in water.
I followed the similar protocol as your A9 tutorial.

The system preparation is as follows:

V0
K+ Cl- and H2O
V1
H2O

The Coulomb part is smooth, but when I come to the vander Waals part at
lambda = 0.96. 0.97, 0.98, 0.99, the deviations of dV/dL are really very
large and the associated rms in dV/dL is large too.
Below are the values pasted from my step2 (removal of VdW) for KCl in water.

lambda dV/dL rms
 0.01 -10.1308 7.6823
 0.02 -10.3832 7.8315
 0.03 -10.5346 7.7157
 0.04 -11.1133 8.4021
 0.05 -11.0010 8.3304
 0.10 -11.8918 8.9928
 0.15 -15.8839 13.8790
 0.20 -21.5457 12.5220
 0.25 -19.6375 7.7632
 0.30 -16.7392 5.8578
 0.35 -13.6715 5.5840
 0.40 -12.1145 5.8446
 0.45 -11.4377 6.5548
 0.50 -14.9366 9.3140
 0.55 -17.6222 9.2010
 0.60 -19.6371 7.3480
 0.65 -17.6970 5.5395
 0.70 -16.0031 4.8710
 0.75 -14.8000 4.6733
 0.80 -14.3021 5.5109
 0.85 -15.6648 7.1867
 0.90 -19.9225 10.2446
 0.95 -36.7524 20.6859
 0.96 -45.3181 25.7754
 0.97 -60.0310 34.3345
 0.98 -89.1323 51.1157
 0.99 -177.6619 106.7890

When I plotted the temperature, density, Etot, EPtot, all are well behaved
and do not show any abnormal deviations.
Is there anything that I'm missing in my simulations?
I can provide more details if necessary.

Thank you very much for your time.

Regards
Sai