Re: [AMBER] combination of CHAMBER prmtop and pmemd.cuda is causing serious instability

From: Joshua Adelman <jla65.pitt.edu>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 13:51:40 -0500

Hi Ross,

On Jan 11, 2012, at 1:42 PM, Ross Walker wrote:

> Hi Josh,
>
>> I would just add that I'm also very interested in seeing this bug
>> resolved soon as well, and it would be great to know approximate
>> timescales of when we might expect a patch. I'm not sure if having two
>> users vs one interested in this shifts any priorities around, but I
>> figured it couldn't hurt to suggest Marc isn't the only one interested
>> in running CHAMBER generated systems using pmemd.cuda.
>
> The patch for this was made but looks like it needs more testing. I was
> hoping to have that done by now but other things keep getting in the way.
> The current plan is to focus on making sure it works for AMBER 12 and then
> back porting a patch for AMBER 11.
>
> In the meantime the issue should only be affecting NPT calculations. You
> could run the CPU version of the code to equilibrate the density with NPT
> and then switch to NVT to use the CUDA code.

The only complication on our end with moving to NVT is that we're looking at conformational changes of a protein embedded in a membrane, which could result in the protein changing the volume it consumes in the bilayer. I would just be concerned that fixing the box dimensions could have unwanted consequences for either the protein or the lipids's behavior.

I guess I'll just have to patiently wait for the testing to play itself out. Again it would be helpful to have a rough idea of timescales (weeks or months) you think it could reasonably take to make the patch public.

Thanks again for your insight.

Josh