Re: [AMBER] : Membrane Dynamics

From: Albert <mailmd2011.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 01:21:29 +0100

of course if we do something, each of us hope it should be something
reliable not just can or can not.... I also looking forward the update
function for membrane protein in Amber. In fact, most people would like
to use CHARMM36 for membrane system and the problem for many tools is
the topology file for ligand. Probably, Amber developer should also
consider how to solve this problem. Since amber get Antechamber tool for
ligand building, probably someone should provide how to build CHARMM FF
based topology for ligand.

It is said that GAFF is also good enough for lipids simulation and some
paper was already published based on this. However, what I found is that
most people would like to use POPC lipids. But someone else prefer POPE
or else. Probably, Amber developer can also consider merge the POPC,POPE
parameters into the latest Amber99SB FF which can make the case much
more convenient.

Moreover, most GPCR simulation are based on homology models. So we must
be very careful about the methods used for such kind of simulation. It
would be a very good idea to introduce similar strategies in Desmond
i.e. the whole system can be relaxed very steadily and here is an
example for relaxation in Desmond:

Stage 1 - minimize
Stage 2-"Heating from 0 -> 310.0 K, H2O Barrier and Gradual restraining"
Stage 3-NPT equilibration with H2O Barrier with heavy atoms restrained
Stage 4-NPT equilibration of solvent and lipids
Stage 5-NPT with protein heavy atoms anealing 10.0 -> 2.0 kal/mol
Stage 6-NPT with C_alpha atoms restrained at 2 kcal/mol
Stage 7-NPT, with no restraints
Stage 8-MD production

The most promising steps for the above protocol are stage 2 and stage 5
because the system are restrained or unrestrained linearly which is a
perfect methods for homology based MD simulations.

Probably, Amber can also consider cooperate with Desmond and the system
builder tool is also very good in Desmond. However, what I found is that
the lipids naming methodology in Desmond is different from original
CHARMM FF if someone would like to use CHARMM36. And Amber itself
doesn't provide lipids topology which can be good enough for membrane
simulation.