Re: [AMBER] constant pressure

From: Brian Radak <radak004.umn.edu>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2011 14:14:24 -0500

This is probably unlikely, but is there a bad overlap near the periodic
boundary? Minimization usually (always?) ignores PBCs. If a molecule is
immediately being wrapped through the wall onto another molecule then
things won't be happy. That could maybe be happening during the second
minimization after the NVT dynamics, which you probably shouldn't need.

Brian

On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 1:52 PM, Yong Duan <duan.ucdavis.edu> wrote:

> There are many reasons that things like what you observed could happen. If
> you provide us a bit more detail, we might be able to find out why and
> make suggestions.
>

> Did you turn on the non-bonded interactions of the ion when you minimized
> the structure (before you started the MD simulation)? The differences are
> not limited to non-bonded energy terms. Instead, all energy terms in
> minimization and in MD were really different. For example, bond energy
> more than doubled from 6004.1653 in minimization to 12704.4067 in the
> first step of MD (as indicated by your TIME(PS) = 0.000). Usually, when
> you start a simulation from a structure that was minimized, the energies
> should be reasonably close at the first step. In fact, we would be
> concerned if they are not. If you hadn't told me that they are the same
> system, I would have thought they are completely different systems.
>
> How low was your "low" temperature? Your output says it is 244K. Was this
> close to the your "low" temperature? This temperature is considered low in
> conventional sense, below freezing point of water. However, in terms of
> kinetic energy per atom, 244K is really not much lower than the 300K (only
> about 80%). It sometimes helps to start simulations from 10K, although, in
> this case, I am not sure this would help you much.
>

> --
> Yong Duan, Ph.D, Professor
> UC Davis Genome Center and
> Department of Biomedical Engineering
> University of California at Davis
> Davis, CA 95616
> 530-754-7632
>

> On 12/4/11 10:22 AM, "kirtana S" <skirtana4.gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I require to use non bonded interaction of ion in my monomer . This was
> >the
> >reason for the difference in energetics. Without this non bonded
> >interaction the energetics are good. I used low temperature equilibration
> >and with a heating with a time step of 0.0005 ps.
> >
> >SANDER BOMB in subroutine nonbond_list
> > volume of ucell too big, too many subcells
> > list grid memory needs to be reallocated, restart sander
> >
> >Can anyone suggest how should I go about to have a non bonded ioninc
> >interaction in each monomer group.
> >
> >Thanks
> >Kirtana
> >On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 3:42 AM, Yong Duan <duan.ucdavis.edu> wrote:
> >

> >> Interesting. Do you have an explanation on why the energies are so
> >> different?
> >>
> >> Looks like you have a poorly equilibrated system. You may want to try
> >> short equilibration at low temperature.
> >>
> >> What time step did you use? Any other relevant information you can
> >>provide?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Yong Duan, Ph.D, Professor
> >> UC Davis Genome Center and
> >> Department of Biomedical Engineering
> >> University of California at Davis
> >> Davis, CA 95616
> >> 530-754-7632

> [...]

================================ Current Address =======================
 Brian Radak                                             :     BioMaPS
Institute for Quantitative Biology
 PhD candidate - York Research Group       :     Rutgers, The State
University of New Jersey
 University of Minnesota - Twin Cities         :     Center for Integrative
Proteomics Room 308
 Graduate Program in Chemical Physics     :     174 Frelinghuysen Road,
 Department of Chemistry                          :     Piscataway, NJ
08854-8066
 radak004.umn.edu                                 :
radakb.biomaps.rutgers.edu