[AMBER] D-N-Sulfate-glucosamine net charge

From: Massimiliano Porrini <M.Porrini.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 19:23:58 +0000

Dear Amber users,

I am attempting to do MD simulations of certain glycosaminoglycans (GAG)
interacting with proteins.

With regard to the partial charges, from the Amber archives I
understood that I should use the sulfate.prep
file from GLYCAM website, whilst having a look at the GLYCAM website FAQs
I should use the parameters given in J. Comp. Chem. Huige and Altona,
Vol. 16, 56 (1995).

To familiarise with the tleap oligosaccharides building procedure I am starting
from monomer D-N-Acetylglucosamine in which I want to substitute the acetyl
with the sulfate group (at the N atom in position 2).

The total charge of the new sulfated compound should obviously be -1 .

If I implement the partial charges given in "sulfate.prep" file downloaded
from GLYCAM website ( http://glycam.ccrc.uga.edu/ccrc/pages/parameters.html )
I get a net charge equal to
-0.909000

whereas

if I implement the partial charges given in J. Comp. Chem. Huige and
Altona, Vol. 16, 56 (1995),
I get a net charge equal to
-0.982000

which is closer to the unit (in this case I implemented the charges
derived for Isopropyl-Sulfamate and I used also the N and H atoms charges
in addition to those of SO_3).

For helping I enclosed the input file I use for tleap (where there are
several comments for
clarity).

Am I doing right or missing something here?
Should I recalculate the partial charges through a RESP procedure?
But if this is the case, why is there a sulfate.prep file in GLYCAM
website and how
should one use it?

Any hint/suggestion would be really appreciated.

Best,

--
Dr Massimiliano Porrini
Institute for Condensed Matter and Complex Systems