Re: [AMBER] compiling pmemd in amber9

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 10:28:05 -0800

Hi Vijay,

> The machine that I am using is SGI_ALTIX XE1300 with 4 nodes, each with
> 8 cores. So the total is 32 cores. Using intel fortran compiler
> Lastly I wanted to compile PMEMD and tried to do as; ./configure
> sgi_altix ifort mpi pubfft. There is no option for Xeon so I chose this
> configuration. In the config.h file I added
>
> MATH_LIBS = -L/opt/intel/mkl/10.0.010/lib/64/ -Wl,--start-group
> /opt/intel/mkl/10.0.010/lib/64/libmkl_intel_lp64.
> a /opt/intel/mkl/10.0.010/lib/64/libmkl_sequential.a
> /opt/intel/mkl/10.0.010/lib/64/libmkl_core.a -Wl,--end-group
>  -lpthread

This is your problem unfortunately. At the time AMBER 9 was written an Altix
was very different to what the Altix you have today is like. It was a fully
shared memory machine using Intel Itanium processors. Your Altix on the
other hand is essentially an Intel x86_64 infiniband cluster. As such you
will have all sorts of problems using the build scripts for a traditional
Altix that shipped with AMBER 9.

I would suggest using the linux_em64t.ifort target - assuming you are using
the intel compilers and your MPI installation is configured for the intel
compilers.

Check that

mpif90 -show reports the intel compiler.

Then edit the resulting config.h file and change:

all occurrences of ifort to mpif90
all occurrences of icc or gcc to mpicc

remove all occurrences of -tpp7
Change the -xN to -xHost

You will probably then be good to go. Although you may still want to skip
using MKL so 'unset MKL_HOME'

Good luck,

All the best
Ross