Re: [AMBER] About defining force direction in SMD simulation

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 09:02:09 -0400

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 1:46 AM, Mo Chen <mc842.cornell.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 1:24 AM, Mo Chen <mc842.cornell.edu> wrote:
>
> Hi Jason,
> Now I reconsider it and think that restraining the force direction is
> probably not a good idea in this case because it limits the ligand
> behavior.
> Though it might be nice if Amber does have this option. Thank you!
>
> Best,
> Mo

SMD only works by defining a reaction coordinate. If you want to pull a
ligand out of a protein in a certain direction, you'll need to somehow
define a reaction coordinate that is unidirectional. For instance, you can
insert a dummy particle with no charge or VDW terms and restrain it to a
particular position relative to the protein (via NMR restraints), and define
a generalized distance constraint involving the distance between the active
site and ligand minus the distance between the ligand and the dummy
particle, and scan it from -20 angstroms (or whatever the starting value for
your system is) to 20 angstroms (or whatever the ending value would be).

HTH,

Quantum Theory Project,
University of Florida
Ph.D. Candidate