Re: [AMBER] PB parameters: SURFTEN/SURFOFF

From: Qiong Zhang <qiong.zhang.qzh.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 21:50:20 +0200

Hi Jason and Ray,

Thank you for your kind reply!

I think I had confusions about the parameters cavity_surften/cavity_offset
(in the python script in Ambertools) and SURFTEN/SURFOFF (in the perl script
in AMBER). Now I think they should be of the same meaning but slightly
different names and different default values.

I am wondering why in the perl script, the default values for
SURFTEN/SURFOFF (If INP = 1 and RADIOPT = 0) is SURFTEN: 0.00542; SURFOFF:
0.92, while in the python script, the default values for
cavity_surften/cavity_offset is 0.00542 and -1.008? Why the offset values
used to correct nonpolar free energy contribution are so different ?

Another thing that I am not sure is the relationship of MMPBSA.py and PBSA
in ambertools. On page 201 in the manual for Ambertools 1.5, the default
values for cavity_surften/cavity_offset is 0.00542 and -1.008 since the
total non-polar solvation free energy is modeled as a single term linearly
proportional to the solvent accessible surface area (default: INP=1). On
page 169 in this manual, the default values for cavity_surften/cavity_offset
are different since they are default values when INP=2. As far as I
understood, in MMPBSA, the PB equation is solved numerically by the PBSA
program in Ambertools. My question is that is it possible to use all the
parameters in PBSA for MMPBSA calculations? I would like to use the
optimized parameters as reported by Ray [J. Phys. Chem. B 2007, 111,
12263-12274] for the MMPBSA calculations. How could I do that please?

Huge thanks in advance!

Qiong