[AMBER] New to AMBER, installation issues

From: Matthew D Antalek <mantale1.binghamton.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 15:06:02 -0400

Hi,

   I'm an undergrad, and I've never done an MD simulation before, nor have I
worked much in Linux. I am having some problems with the installation of
Amber 11 on my computer. I successfully unpacked the Amber11 and AmberTools
packages into an amber11 directory. I then follow the instructions outlined
in the Amber 11 manual (section 1.3), but nothing is happening. I'm using
the bash shell so as outlined in the manual I type:

set AMBERHOME=/matt/Amber/amber11

but I don't see any output from this command. Likewise, when I type

export AMBERHOME

nothing happens. It seems that I am not creating a $AMBERHOME directory,
because when I type in a command such as

cd $AMBERHOME/src

I get an error saying "No such file or directory".

 I also think that I correctly edited the system's PATH to include the
$AMBERHOME/bin directory but I'm not sure.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sincerely,
Matt